Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Anthrocrapologists


"There are certain ideas that are so preposterous that only a professor could come up with them." --Professor Anderson, M.D., Harvard University

And now for my anthropology rant:

My professor said something at the start of class the other day that struck me as true: psychology doesn't take any theory seriously unless it is based on studies which count things. Psychology loves counting. It pretends to be a hard science this way.

Anthropologists, he said, don't try to force fake measurement. They observe and philosophize, as is natural in the social sciences.

Alright, I said. I'm partial to making fun of psychologists myself.

BUT then he began his lecture on attachment. He told the class that attachment to the mother is universal (I wrote a paper on this last semester and concluded that we need a lot more evidence before we can say such a thing). Then he said (essentially) that feminists are responsible for making mothers work 40 hours a week and children who are in daycare will be scarred for life. And that the mother should stay home with her children until they are at least 2. And that our society is going to hell because we all live in small families with very few strong bonds and no support. And that, basically, daycare is ruining America.

The woman sitting next to me and I spent the entire class challenging everything he said.

First of all, psychologists have completed prospective, follow-up studies a few years long of children in daycare. They found that in a high quality daycare (which poor people who work the most don't get, but that's another story), a child is no worse off. What is more important than daycare/staying home is the actual RELATIONSHIP the child has with its PARENT. My professor was basing his hypotheses on absolutely nothing but "gut instinct".

Second of all, a true feminist believes that a woman should do whatever she sees as best for herself and her family. Stay home? Work? Feminism is about CHOICE.

Third of all, fathers or grandparents who care for a child under 2 are just as good as a mother. The child does not need titties. The child needs love, affection, attention and consistency. AND children can benefit from strong relationships with daycare workers as well as mom and dad.

Finally, just because most of humanity lives in extended families and we live in nuclear families does NOT mean we are "worse off". In America, family is who we choose to be family. My aunts who were not technically my aunts helped raise me. My parents' friends were a lot like aunts and uncles. Teachers were mentors to me, I had a strong, consistent relatoinship with one particular daycare worker when I was small and I had an entire branch of family members at my CHURCH. My professor was acting as though the lack of extended family has left a void in American family life. HUMANITY DOES NOT ALLOW VOIDS. When family disappears our affect hunger means that we seek out others to fill the hole they left. If we do not stop needing relationships, we do not stop creating them when needed.

When Professor McSmartSmart started talking about whether or not women are "naturally" better prepared to be nurturing parents, I cleared my throat, raised my hand, and said, "Ultimately, why does it matter? If you admit that we can never be specific enough about human biology to base public policy on it, who cares?", he actually replied "It is an interesting question and it is interesting to try to answer interesting questions."

Yeah.

When he said it was unusual for a man to be involved in his child's birth and that studies showing sharp increases in oxytocin when a man sees his child born were probably only following upper-middle class men, I just tuned out. LALALALALALALALALA.

I learned something today. I learned that psychologists may often try to measure the unmeasurable, but anthropologists get to say whatever they want based on whatever limited and biased knowledge they claim to have.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wicked Goodz said...

"women are naturally suited to motherhood"?... obviously he's never met my mother-in-law.

Hmm, and men aren't involved in childbirth? In 1950, sure. These days, who's he kidding? Every guy I know with kids was right there getting sworn at and their hands crushed.

This is what happens when "experts" spend too much time studying instead of experiencing. Perhaps Prof McSmartysmart should pry his head out of his ass, I mean, books occasionally and actually interact with people.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

The problem with anthropologists is that they consider themselves very experienced. They all have to go spend a year in some obscure culture and write a book about it for their disertation.

So they get to know some tiny culture better than anyone else in the world and consider themselves experts in the human race. But knowing about America and one other place does not an expert make.

All professors have trouble keeping their theories reined in because they are constantly standing up in front of a captive audience listening to themselves talk. Like the ebola guy. NOT HEALTHY.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was raised an only child by my grandparents because my single mom worked full time. I had a couple of best friends who are sisters and after 36 years are still my life long best friends. I feel very lucky to have had such a relationship with my grandparents. Many people I know saw their grandparents, but not regularly. They mostly saw them on holidays. In fact, I grew up with most of my family either living on the same street or about a 5 minute car ride away. My mom and grandfather signed me up for various social and recreational activities like horseback riding, ceramics and dance classes. I was heavily involved with the local YMCA. So, I am quite socially developed. Honestly, growing up I did not have a problem with my familial status, but with those snotty rich kids I went to school with, many of which came from families with a mommy and daddy and possibly some siblings, who had some inexplicable problem with me. So, that anthropologist can take his philosophy and attach it to a boulder and push it over a cliff.
Cheers!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home