Thursday, March 22, 2007

ATHF

Remember when the bomb squads were called in for a glowing Moonanite? I just found this entry, which I forgot to publish. I was fighting with the Red Line that day (and looking under the seats for suspicious packages like everyone else). I wrote this a few days later.

I have read a few people's blog entries on this subject and must say a word or two.

1) I feel very safe in Boston as I think our bomb squads and city authorities can and will respond quickly and successfully to bomb threats.

2) I do not trust our ability to recognize a bomb in the first place and call the bomb squad.

3) Guerilla advertising walks the line between giving me what I want (twenty-somethings promoting ATHF last year gave me free stickers and a poster. I was happy) and being very freaky (companies should not be spray-painting fake art around the city). Art for the sake of advertising drains our souls. But then again, artists have always created what their patrons told them to.

4) Boston over-reacted. Big time. I don't think a LiteBrite flipping you off is very bomb like. But where were the people in the crowd who recognized it? Did NONE of the cops know this show? HELLO? Why was it not called off sooner?

5) The company should pay up and that should be the end of it.

6) Those hired to design a company's idea should not be held responsible for the idea.

7) The two guys talking about hair were brave to flip off the reporters and stupid to put themselves in question/more trouble. Ultimately it was an interesting comment on media interaction with individuals.

8) This has not exposed a generation gap, it has exposed the difference between people who laugh when the authorities chase something silly and those who scream when the authorities have been made a fool.

Ever see Wonder Showzen? They have a game called FUNNY! NOT FUNNY!

Image of Urr, flipping us off: FUNNY!

Image of Longwood Medical Center being evacuated: NOT FUNNY!

Why can't the situation contain both? Lessons for the authorities and lessons for stupid glowing middle fingers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home