Saturday, January 13, 2007

MC HOLY SHIT


You ever hear a song, enjoy it, listen to it, and then hear it so many times you want to kill everyone responsible for writing, producing, and playing the damn thing?

Well, that song was "Download This Song" by MC Lars. And I really was ready to kill him. And then I won some cds from a radio station. Included, of course, was MC Lars' album, which I am listening to right now for the first time.

What a fucking genius. He's young. He sounds like a skinny white boy. But my god, he knows his shit. My favorite (so far) may be "Hot Topic Is Not Punk Rock," a song written in perfect punk rock style.

I quote:
"Hello Kitty ipod cases
ARE NOT PUNK ROCK
Rob Zombie lunch boxes
ARE NOT PUNK ROCK
Tupac incense burners
ARE NOT PUNK ROCK
Hot Topic
IS NOT PUNK ROCK"

And from "21 Concepts," about all his failed songs that never made it to an album:

"There was the KRS slash Nirvana debut
but the mash-up thing was so 2002
I did an anti-Bush track, and then I did five more,
but "Rock Against Bush" was so 2004"

And here's a medley from "Generic Crunk Rap":

"Phrase about my gun, rhyme about my loot,
Phrase about these haters I sometimes have to shoot
Rhyme about my clothes
Props to my hometown (Carmel Valley!)
Lyrics that say nothing - cause that's how we get down
Phrase about my clique, don't step to me punk
Gratuitous rhyme about keeping it crunk
Big ups to our genre, we do it our own way,
It's just too bad our songs don't have anything to say!

Buy cars
GET CRUNK
Escalades
GET CRUNK
Spend money
GET CRUNK
Take shots
GET CRUNK
Have sex
GET CRUNK
Spend money
GET CRUNK

Grandmaster Flash, I'm sorry but we're killing hip-hop
Run-DMC, I'm sorry but we're killing hip-hop
Chuck D, I'm sorry but we're killing hip-hop
But who can argue with the charts
When we're sitting at the top?
And we're making so much money
That we ain't about to stop!"


He ends with "I'm just playing, Lil Jon. You know I love you." a la Eminem. Fucking amazing.

One more quote because I just can't get over this guy:

"This song is futuristic, so hardcore
Hey T.S. Eliot! Please shut the door
Because modernism is so passe
The postmodern revolution is here to stay
In the house tonight because of Frank Lloyd Wright
The bass goes "boom!" like dynamite
"Yo, Wright was a Modernist!"
Yeah I know that, all right,
But you can't rhyme "Bob Venturi" with "Dynamite"

Ezra Pound can't stop me (I'm on fire tonight)
Virginia Woolf can't stop me (I'm on fire tonight)
E.E. Cummings can't stop me (I'm on fire tonight)
I've got postmodern game and it feels all right"


Now THAT, my friends, is hip-hop.

www.mclars.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Dean ASC said...

E B White got in my way the other day and I had to swerve.

Too obscure?

10:48 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Perhaps I will locate and download this. Illegally, of course.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Bry said...

Dean: If "too obscure" means you're referencing something, then yes, it is. But it's a great sentence.

Kevin: You should. His single "Download This Song" was all about how the record bastards have been overcharging us for years and now they're getting theirs.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home