Saturday, December 09, 2006

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hieni Ho Ho Ho



My favorite television Christmas special ever created is Pee-Wee's Playhouse 1988 special. Where else can you get Frankie Avalon, Charo, Del Rubio Triplets, Annette Funicello, Whoopi Goldberg, Magic Johnson, Grace Jones, k.d. lang, Little Richard, Joan Rivers, Dinah Shore, Oprah Winfrey, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Cher in one hour?

k.d. lang's performance might be the best of her entire career. She's wearing a cowgirl DRESS and singing Jingle Bell Rock at the top of her lungs. There may have been alcohol involved. I am most impressed that she did the entire thing without stopping to roll on the ground laughing.

And, as Pee-Wee says, "All that's missing now is CHARO." Feliz navidad. I vant to vish you a merry chreestmas. I vant to vish you a merry chreestmas. I vant to vish you a merry chreestmas from the bottom of my hea-eart.

What's your favorite christmas tv special? (Yes, we all love Charlie Brown, but what else?) If you must, tell me about your SECOND favorite. My second favorite is South Park's Critter Christmas where Stan teaches lion cubs how to perform abortions so that they can abort the anti-christ fetus from a porcupine after all the woodland creatures have a blood orgy. Not exactly the sweetest Christmas special, but by far the funniest. Except for Charo.

4 Comments:

Blogger coffeesnob said...

I have two favorites - it ain't the holiday season 'til I see 'em.

It's a wonderful life (Hey, who doesn't like suicide AND angels in one tear-jerking movie?)

Christmas Story, the one with the little boy who will "shoot his eye out" if he gets his Red Rider BB gun.
funny, but sweet (just like me)

Peace elf.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Bry said...

Ah, the Christmas Story. A classic. That leg-lamp will go down in history as the most wonderfully tacky item one could ever display in one's living room.

I must say, I just watched one of the Little House on the Prarie christmas episodes, and it was like the 70's twilight zone of prarie life. My favorite was the black woman who remembers her servant father dressing up like santa to prove to her that santa loved black kids too. It didn't really matter to the producers that there was never a black woman in the little house books. Details, details...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

For me, Xmas movie musts are A Christmas Story, and Miracle on 34th Street.

For TV specials I absolutely have to see: Magoo's Christmas Carol, Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special, Charlie Brown, The Grinch. Consequently, I have them all on DVD.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

It was shown for Thanksgiving. It's a little something I like to call "The Star Wars Holiday Special". Now that I know what cocaine is the performances all make sense. I had no idea why every thing seemed fucked up when I was a kid. Now I know better.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home