Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mantra of the Day


Everybody say it with me:



Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis
Germany survived the Nazis





Of course, the Jews didn't.



Do I stick it out and keep my head down, stick it out and fight, or run like hell?

The folks running this country are a lot more subtle than Hitler was. It will take a hell of a lot longer for things to get 1941 bad. Globally, I have faith in two things: money, as they will never take away the freedom to purchase whatever they can make a profit off of; and the epilogue of Atwood's Handmaid's Tale, the reminder that no matter how bad it is there is always an end to the chapter, and future historians to read it like a fascinating, frightening book.

Not that I am particularly fond of having to live this chapter.

Am I a pussy to run off to another country, leaving my friends and family behind? Do I stick with the community I love and endure whatever happens over the next fifty years? I have no inherent sense of nationalism. The concept seems kind of silly to me. But I do love My City, and New England as a whole. Not simply because I live here, was raised here, have family and memories scattered throughout, but because I have roots in a wonderful community and feel connected to the Earth here, the ocean, the seasons.

But there are other wonderful communities elsewhere. And there are other beautiful places on Earth.

And then: where would I go? Will it be better in Europe, with the shady EU and Muslim riots? Canada with their recent overthrow of the scandalous liberal government? England, the most Big Brother surveillance-d country on Earth? South America with its political turmoil? Africa with its wars and diseases? Asia with its tsunamis, Communists, and dictators? The Middle-East with its fundamentalism and lack of women's rights? Russia with god-knows-what-is-next?

If only I had some idea of what the next twenty years are going to be like.

But: where there is satire, there is hope. Even Iraq has a Jon Stewart-esque show that is hugely popular (when the power is on). An unidentified man has been kidnapped by unidentified men and taken to an unidentified location. And now for the weather: hot, dry, sandy. And in sports...

I think I need to go watch Stan and Kyle make fun of Canada. It always makes me feel just a little bit better. And then I'll vote. It's a useless hobby, but it makes me feel nice anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home