Friday, November 24, 2006

The Organized Religion Thing


Alright. Finally time to discuss my feelings about organized religion. More for me to get my thoughts organized than anything else. Brownie points to anyone who reads the whole thing.

I was raised Unitarian Universalist, third generation. This is very rare, as the 100,000-200,000 person denomination is made up mostly of converts. Ex-Catholics, current Jews, and lots of Protestants who never went to church as a kid but want some kind of community and spiritual leadership as they raise their kids.

To be UU, you need to believe in one thing and one thing only: respect for the interdependent web of life and the sanctity of that life. Some take this more seriously and are vegan, most take it to mean eating but not torturing animals and respecting all human beings. It is liberal, democratic and of Judeo-Christian origin, with more recent Pagan influences. All churches are self-run, some more Pagan, others more Christian, some more Jewish, many a whole mix of all of the above. They all belong to the Unitarian Universalist Association, the central organization of the religion.

Okay. So I'm getting married soon in the church we both grew up in and the new minister wants us to join, become members, pay an anual fee to belong to a church in which we will be able to vote on church decisions. And this frightens me. I do not like the idea of paying for church membership, though those who cannot afford much are allowed to pay like twenty five dollars a year. But still, the money thing bothers me. But: how can you run a building without money?

Another thing that bothers me is the whole idea of having a minister lead a church. Sure, it's democratic, but that minister holds power and sway over the spiritual and emotional lives of the congregation. I know. I got fucked by a minister who mixed friendships, alliances, power and church law to ban people I love from church property for committing no crime. She threatened my family stability and did things I cannot publicly publish here. Until she did this to us, I wanted to be a minister myself.

And then there's the liberal rhetoric. I have strong liberal leanings. I believe in charity and support for those on the bottom of the social and economic ladder. But I do not blindly follow all the liberal dogma. I disagree with a lot of it. (I don't believe in the type of gun control on the books and think Affirmative Action is racist). To be a part of this church, it is assumed that you believe in the whole damn lot of it. I can't stand the ignorant blind peace-mongers who light candles before they eat a steak dinner praying for world peace. Shut the fuck up. There are times to fight and times not to fight. You have to use your brain to decide the difference.

I love that Unitarians don't assume you believe in God. What they stress, though, is the community. Which is fine. But I look around after the service and don't feel I particularly need this community in my life. If I were raising children, I might feel differently. I am glad I was raised in the church and love seeing the "old folks" who have been there forever. But I don't really need pot lucks and pancake breakfasts. I do, however, need the church building itself. If a family member dies, when I get married, I want the building I grew up in to be there for me. Hypocritical?

And then there are the sermons themselves. The current minister is a fire-breathing activist. She gets up there and PREACHES, and I mean PREACHES, motivating the congregation to save the world. And that's nice. But I don't want someone in my face all the time. I like her sermons because I disagree with a lot of what she says. I find that she makes me define my position because she comes from a pure liberal angle and puts me on a conservative retreat. Well, conservative for a Unitarian. But either way, her sermons are intellectually stimulating.

Back when I believed in God (I found God in Nashville, Tennessee, and I think that's funny) I had a few intensely spiritual experiences with Unitarian youth organizations. And they were central to my development as a spiritual person. But I have developed away from all of that. I am a strict humanist/agnostic. When I say "Humanitology: We are the answer to our own question," I mean it. I find the study of human culture and thought truly divine. My love of psychology, religious studies, anthropology, history, literature and art are all a part of my spiritual life. I am always searching for those traits that are universal, that make us human, because I believe that humanity is the most beautiful and ugly thing in the entire universe. In terms of a separate divinity: I have had unexplained experiences; I am perfectly open to the idea of a higher power. I just refuse to decide what to believe because afterward I will miss out on all things that do not conform to my belief. And besides, I don't think it matters whether there is a creator god or other gods or not. Morality and virtue are not dependent on anything but humanity. We know what is right or wrong, whether we attribute it to a higher power or not. I believe most people strive to be good, but that "good" is a culturally defined term. I am still trying to figure out the relationship between relative good and universal morality. Most religions and cultures agree on things like "don't kill" and "don't lie," they just disagree on the circumstances that make exceptions to the rules appropriate. Humans are capable of true evil. But the idea that good and evil come from different places, places other than the human heart, is ludicrous in my mind.

The church is not my spiritual home. It is not where I have revelations. Actually, the house I live in right now is. The house I live in is as close to a church as I will ever get. I have had most if not all of my "unexplained" experiences here. This is where I do any mediation/rituals that I am going to do. So I don't need the church for that.

I suppose I don't feel that I need organized religion. I just enjoy the intellectual stimulation of a well-writen sermon. I like disagreeing with someone's thoughts. Nothing spiritual there. But I want the building for my own because of all my memories there, because we both grew up there, because we need a place for weddings and funerals.

So am I a hypocrite not to join and still use the building? And if I do join: I always said I won't participate in someone else's holy ceremony because to do so without believing is offensive to those who do believe. If I sat through a Catholic Mass, I would stand and kneel where appropriate out of respect but not say the words that I don't believe in. So would joining a church I don't believe in and a community I don't feel I need be equally offensive?

I still don't know. We meet with the minister Sunday. We'll see how it goes.

11 Comments:

Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Feel free to add me to the list of Unitarians who have been unjustly banned from church property for committing no crime. . .

10:25 AM  
Blogger Bry said...

Avenger: I skimmed your blog and found it interesting, if a bit extreme. I fully support exposing the hypocrisy of Unitarian Universalists, along with all people, but I am among the group that is more or less happy with its ammount of God/Atheism. If anything I find that my church has a bit too much God for my tastes from time to time. There are more God-y UU churches and more athiest UU churches. You should find one that better suits you.

1:08 PM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

I'll join with you!

I'm also 3rd gen, same church.

I miss it - it is like the great Aunt's house you only go to once a year for a party. It should always be there, even if you never go. It gives a sense of Home and Belonging across the generations and for that I love the structure and its ever-mutating attendees.

I almost joined years ago - and then there was your 'incident' and I've been pissed off ever since.
I came close to joining after the death of my Gaam, but there was a money issue then too.

I haven't listened to a good sermon in years...

1:09 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

I found God in Nashville, Tennessee, and I think that's funny

There's something very Mojo Nixon about that statement. I saw Jesus at McDonalds at midnight. I see god in everything I do but it's not a bible/torah/q'ran god.

Essentially what you describe is what some modern anthropologists call a "third place". Not work and not home. A place outside the two where someone can go, meet frieds, unwind and live for just a moment. For some it's church. For some it's a library. For many it's a bar. If you want the church building to be there when you need a function hall you're probably joining for the wrong reason. If you believe in the community that the church and its leadership are trying to build then join. The key there is the church leadership. I've never met a member of the clergy that didn't skeeve me out in some way. The building is inconsequential, it's the ministry you support with your membership. If you don't like the minister don't support her.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

Thank you for the comments.

Coffeesnob: you would have loved today's sermon. I actually didn't disagree with it, which is rare. It was all about the "tough territory" of standing up for your principals in situations that are uncomfortable or dangerous. And forgiving yourself when you didn't stand up. And both the wonderful and sad things that can happen to your sense of self and your relationships with other people when you stand up for what you believe in.

And Dean: I think you're right about the building thing.

Off to the meeting with the minister! Who knows what awaits...

4:43 PM  
Blogger Wicked Goodz said...

I'm a bit confused... it sounds like you were told you had to become a (paid) member of the church in order to be welcome there.

Chris and I were both members of First Universalist for a while, then he dropped his status to "friend", while I remained a member. "Friends" of the church aren't voting members, but are still considered important members of the congregation, and welcome.

Neither Chris or myself are members any more, but still feel the church is there for us when we need it even though we aren't paying for it.

It's fair to expect members to help pay for the upkeep of the church, however to be forced to join and pay in order to use the church is wrong.

On a side note; I have to disagree a bit with Dean's comment about the building being inconsequential. The Sanctuary at First Universalist fills me with a sense of peace and 'connectedness' I've never felt anywhere else. It has since the very first time I stepped in to the space, before I knew anything at all about the congregation. Yes, the people are the most important part of a church, but the building can be an important part too.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Bry said...

Well, no - we were never ever told that we HAD to become members to use the church and be welcome there. We've just been pressured by all previous ministers to join if we're going to be there regularly and use it as our own.

I was just wondering whether it was hypocritical to use a church I don't join. I'm thinking that it isn't at this point, but I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole matter.

And as for having a space be important, I totally understand. There are certain places, be they buildings, rooms, gardens or beautiful spots outdoors, that have moved me from the second I set eyes on them. And the church is an important space for me, I feel really comfortable there. I've known the combination to the front door since I was thirteen. The question is the relationship between the space and the community, and whether I can have one without the other, or whether they're interdependent.

The meaning of each factor and their relationships to each other are still a jumble of a mess in my mind.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Dean ASC said...

Isn't showing up and dropping some dough in the collection plate every sunday enough to be a member of a church?

7:50 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

It should be.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Since I don't believe in god, I have no interest in joining any church or religious organization.

I want no part of a community built around "spirituality" either.

I never give money to religion groups of any kind if I can help it with one exception: Habitat for Humanity because they fucking pick up their hammers and work it, just like Jesus the carpenter did.

If possible, I avoid all churches and religious observations and ceremonies. My last Catholic Mass was a funeral and I did just as Bry says: follow the form out of respect but not say the words and certainly not take Communion (which also shows some respect, I think).

I look on the whole issue and think, Who needs it?

3:14 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

Kevin: You say you don't believe in God and so you don't need religion. So what do you need? You remind me a lot of my Fiancee in the way you talk about religion. She hasn't been able to explain to me her relationship with spirituality (I'm not entirely sure of my own) and so I'm out to see if anyone I know who feels no real need for organized religion can explain how they feel. I know most of it is hard to put words to, but I'm curious what/where/who makes you understand your relationship to the world better. I'm sure there's a better way to frame the question I'm trying to ask, but I'm not sure how.

The whole religion/spirituality thing is hard to define and pin down if you're more complex than "I am Christian. I go to Church." My biggest problem with people who talk about God is that they think that all virtue and morality flow out of a higher power. I do not. I think morality is somehow human, and therefore not dependent on anything higher. But what is morality then?

And: does it matter if there is an afterlife? I personally don't really worry about what will happen when I die. Some people obsess over it. Why do they obsess? Does it matter at all?

So there. I have rambled my silly and often unconnected questions for the day. Just one last one: You say "Who needs it?" Obviously a lot of people do. But WHY? I don't feel that I need religion, but I'm trying to figure out whether or not to have a casual relationship with it. Why do so many people think that they would die without Christ or Mohammed or whatever? I spoke to one person long ago who could not imagine getting through a day without praying. At the time I thought that it meant she was weak. Did it?

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home