Thursday, June 08, 2006

Psycho Babble Bullshit


It seems we're looking to make everything a disorder. I'm sorry, but "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" (the guys in Iraq know a lot about IEDs, but those aren't assholes with road rage) is bullshit in any case where there is not some sort of brain damage. I read about a case where a guy had a tumor on his brain and became violent. But people who can't handle their rage were raised by monkeys, not mentally ill.

I know that these people need therapy to learn how to not be assholes. I believe that in cases like this, basic cognitive/behavior therapy works really well. And I know that to have health insurance pay for it it needs to have a name. Blue Cross does not cover "issues" or "baggage". It's when the psychologists start believing in the "disorder" themselves that I get really, really disappointed. The disease model makes it not one's own fault. This is true for everything from alcoholism to temper tantrums. GIVE ME A BREAK. The name is not the problem. The behavior is the problem. But finding out how many people do things that fit your favorite new term does not help anyone. OH MY GOD! Did you know that one million percent of Americans get pissed off and throw things? WHAT WILL WE DO?

You'll help those who need help. It does not matter how many people you are going to make money off of. It does not matter what you call their issues. Come up with a name to get the insurance companies off your back and get over yourself. You have NOT discovered anything new. You have just come up with a new name for it. Which does nothing and means nothing.

Why are psychologists so goddamned obsessed with semantics? I will never understand how new labels help folks understand themselves and become better people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dean ASC said...

I stopped throwing things when I started writing my blog. I'm even happier when I get a chance to swear at the Kennedy family.

11:50 AM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

There is nothing wrong with being raised by monkeys, or wolves for that matter...

I really think that there should be a name for the rotting and twisting I experience in my gut whenever I have to put up with ass-holes who won't take responsibility for thier own behavior (or lack thereof).

Can I get a pill for that?

8:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think trauma is good. Trauma brings out the hero in all of us it's normal.

Feeling freaked out doesn't need a name or a label. We all flip out.

The trick to is not being a bratty ass kid when a memory triggers us in 3 seconds or less.

Even tougher task online. Really?
Yes dummy. Really.

What? You think tribes put up with bullies. There's no PTSD,ADD,ADHD,OCD - they sell meds.

Get your shit together on your own.

It's a fear reaction when we see a threat, real or perceived. It's normal.

We'd all freak similarly like animals anyway to everything if we could.

- All cultures have protectors and subordinates. Even small but

Get mad, wait...
get pissed, chill and think it through with a cold purpose

Then act like an animal good or bad to express fear or survival like an animal should. It's nature.

Ancient beasts just growl
Humans growl in tones. Now it's web.

Get a puppy before trying therapy.
Relax pumpkin... :)
Throw a nerfball before flippin out.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY!! Love your blog. Psychiatrists ARE a bunch of quacks who know NOTHING and have NEVER "cured" anyone - only made them WORSE.

I have linked to this from within an article I wrote on the Aurora shooting - you can read mine at http://www.Net4TruthUSA.com/darkknightrises.htm

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home