Monday, June 26, 2006

From the Worst Day Ever to the Best Day Ever


My day started with my boss screaming at me. Aparently last year I was a wonderful employee and she does not know what has happened to make me the plague of the earth. She cut my hours from over forty to thirty five - not one minute over. I'm not sure how we're going to eat with The Fiancee getting so few hours. And there is only one way she could know that I'm such a "horrible" employee. My one bakery co-worker: The Baker. The Baker tells me all fucking day that I'm "number one" and "flawless". All fucking day. And then this. And when I didn't say a word to her all morning she played dumb. "I know nothing! What happened?"

Right.

Then I took my glasses off to go into the freezer (they fog up for half an hour when I don't take them off) and on my way out I knocked them off the table and stepped on them. Best day ever. Now I have to see if my frames are ruined and go all the way back to Costco to have them fixed. Until then I shouldn't drive.

But tonight (after I passed out on the floor in the bedroom of exhaustion an hour before I SHOULD have gotten home) The Fiancee and I went to the tavern to have a drink with the Mothers of the Brides. And I feel sooooo much better.

We met to discuss whether or not we're going to put the deposit down on the place we want to get married. We thought we'd have a drink, sign the papers and be done. We ended up being there over two hours and a couple glasses of wine each. We had the waitress who knows us by name and loves us to death, who inquired about our planning and started telling us just what kind of wedding gowns we should wear. It was wonderful. We talked guest list, told stories from our childhoods, joked that the mothers of invention t-shirts should be edited for the mothers of the brides. The Fiancee and I were crying when they handed us checks for the deposit. Both of them are giving us so much, and I don't mean money. They are whole-heartedly supporting us, throwing out ideas, telling all their friends, getting excited over different options for table decorations.

The Fiancee's mother kicked her out when she found out she was gay years and years ago. She has come a long way.

They made me feel so good. It ultimately doesn't matter what happens at work. I would like to avoid drinking Miller Lite all summer (like last year) but this is not my career. I'm going to be a history teacher and I have a feeling I'm going to love it. This is just some shit job I'm doing while I'm in school getting to where I'm going. It's hard to remember that when I'm paying the bills or standing silently ten feet away from someone who talks shit about me behind my back. But it's true. I am blessed. I have a supportive family who loves me and whom I really do like. On her side and my side. And talking to my mother about her meeting all my friends made me glow. I can't wait. She will love them and I think they will love her. She's smart, no nonsense and motherly at the same time. And, of course, I have a woman with whom I am madly in love, who can reach over and put her hand on my knee and make my problems melt away.

Seeing our mothers tonight made me feel like I can go into work tomorrow without the anger and without fighting the tears as I did today. I have a feeling I will be slamming things around and swearing less, too. And you know what? I like The Baker. She's a fascinating person. Even if she deals with things poorly and is scared shitless of confrontation. I'm going to go in there to study her fucked-up brain and when things get overwhelming I'm going to think of my future wife and our evening with our mothers.

Blessed Be

4 Comments:

Blogger Bry said...

I forgot one good thing that happened at work: a 23 year old guy who works in the deli during the day and drinks at night (but whom I really, really like) noticed my ring. This young guy (who stereotypically should not care) had a whole conversation with me about when I'm getting married. He congratulated me and said how wonderful it was. He noticed all by himself. It made me smile.

10:27 PM  
Blogger coffeesnob said...

:-)

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Never let the bastards get you down!

8:51 AM  
Blogger American Interior Monologue said...

Moms Rock! Blessed Be.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home