Saturday, June 10, 2006

Liberaltarian


I kind of like this little quiz. It seems to have been quite accurate. I am exactly between liberal and libertarian. I believe in having the smallest government possible while still providing social services to those in need. I want very few laws governing my behavior and very many services helping me to help myself should I need them. I do want some check on trade and big business, but I also want individuals to be as free as possible. The flip side of the coin is responsibility for what one does with one's freedom. When people harm others they lose their freedom. Violence is the worst type of crime; drug laws have to go. They're costing us money and jamming up our jails. If someone wants to ruin their body, let them. If they want help stopping, help them. If they take drugs and complain that they are miserable, laugh at them.

I do not mind taxes, but I want the majority of my money and government power in the hands of my state. I feel very strongly about local government and states' rights. I don't give two shits what the other 49 do. Federal should watch over trade, deal with foreign relations, have a strong military and provide aid to states in need. All law enforcement should be at the state level with a very small FBI to come in only on inter-state and state corruption cases. I want taxes managed well and welfare-like-programs made rip-off-proof (or at least better than now). I believe that social services for the poor are good for the country, but I also believe in not getting fucked over by people who have kids just to get government money. There will always be an element in society that is poor and miserable. But that group can be smaller with fiscally responsible social services that balance compassion for the poor with a demand for their taking responsibility and working hard to become independent.

Few laws governing behavior.
Many services helping the poor to no longer need services.
Small federal.
Medium state.
Fiscal conservative.
Social liberal.
Liberaltarian.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Hmmmm. Not the result I would have expected for you...

3:10 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

Even more shocking: The Fiancee came up hard-core libertarian.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Wicked Goodz said...

I came up as a Centrist. But by changing my answer to the last question, I came up Libertarian.

It's a neat little quiz, but some of the issues are just too complex to really answer accurately with just yes, no or maybe.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberaltarian, I thought I was the only one :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Neal Locke said...

A few of us who self-identify as "liberaltarians" are starting an open group blog over at http://www.liberaltarian.net -- we're still in the early stages and figuring out what to do with it, but if you'd like to contribute by writing posts or comments (or even reposting/linking to what you've written here) we'd love to welcome you to as part of the conversation.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home