Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day


The day we celebrate our country. And what potential it has!

Recently I've been hearing a lot of people talking about how they wish we had "the old government" back, the one from before the President decided he could break laws and shit on the Constitution.

But for those people I have a few words of hope. Or despair, depending on how you look at it.

The Constitution has been shit on since the ink dried. Now we're abusing it in the name of hating gays. Before we used it to make blacks objects to be owned. This may seem mighty depressing, but what I want to stress is the American Patriots who have always been there, since the very beginning, fighting the injustices of the abuse of the Constitution. Fighting the abuse of other human beings. America has a long tradition of people who give a shit. And fight. From our founding fathers to Harriet Tubman to Dorothea Dix to Eleanor Roosevelt to Martin Luther King, Jr. to the Goodridge family.

So today I am going to remember those who fought. We have a rich heritage of good thinkers, and good do-ers, and those are the people whom I am proud to stand next to as an American.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bry said...

Let me clarify: I am not proud to BE an American; that's like being proud to have blue eyes. Born that way, silly to be proud. I am proud to call these people a part of the cultural heritage that has made me who I am and instilled in me a sense of duty to humankind. Not all Americans have gotten that benefit of our cultural heritage.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home